Red Bike & MoBo - Youth Programs Coordinator
JOB TITLE: Youth Programs Coordinator
COMPENSATION: $1,100/month, 15-17 hours/week
APPLICATION DEADLINE: March 12, 2021
JOB TYPE: Contractor, After-school Hours, 3-4 days/week
REQUIREMENTS: Must be a licensed driver or avid commuting bicyclist
START DATE: March/April 2021
Red Bike & MoBo Bicycle Cooperative are seeking an engaged, outgoing, and reliable individual to become our Youth Programs Coordinator. This is a new partnership and joint position created to support youth bike advocacy, access, and community.
Young people continue to express great interest in bicycling. Together, we plan to support them by providing access to bikes, bicycling information, skills, safety, and community. This new position builds from MoBo’s Kids Day Program, operating since 2008 in Northside, and expands into a year-round position serving youth in several neighborhoods across the city.
The Youth Programs Coordinator will manage and coordinate weekly youth programming, including a reasonable budget for hospitality and events. This person has experience organizing youth and preferably experience working on bikes.
The Youth Programs Coordinator ensures that programming runs smoothly, participants always have a chance to learn, the group and shop remain safe spaces, and everyone has fun. The program succeeds best when the coordinator can organize and lead a strong group of committed volunteers.
The Youth Programs Coordinator reports to both Village Green Foundation’s Board Chair (MoBo) and Red Bike’s Education & Outreach Manager. Together, we will participate in regular check-in calls and operate as a team.
This partnership between MoBo and Red Bike is an effort to support youth bike engagement, as well as a commitment to strengthen our city’s bike advocacy collective and continuing to improve bike access, awareness, and support across communities and neighborhoods.
● Restart and facilitate youth programming - Covid-safe adoption and post Covid full programming.
○ Previously MoBo youth programming has included elements of open shop time, workshops, earn-a-bike opportunities, summer day camps and group rides.
● Establish new youth programming with Red Bike and their community partners in Lower Price Hill and Walnut Hills.
○ Programming would consist of group bike rides as social/communal opportunities as well as practical field trips or guided routes, workshops, and neighborhood pop-up bike/mechanic events
● Instruct basic intro to mechanics curriculum and bicycle safety
● Lead small group bike rides and/or guided routes
● Build relationships with youth, partners and co-facilitators
● Schedule and facilitate other educational workshops
● Track and report on program statistics
● Other tasks as required
Day to Day Tasks
● Plan program activities following social distancing protocols
○ Wearing protective mask, organizing one-on-one activities, using available outdoor spaces, training volunteers on hygiene best practices, facilitate virtual meetings/online learning
● Weekly programming
● Volunteer management
● Administrative tasks
- Experience working with youth from diverse backgrounds
- Enthusiasm for the project and biking
- Must be able to pass a background check
- Digital communications
- Bike repair - willing to train the right candidate
Physical Abilities & Requirements
● Work safely outside in high temperatures
● Climb stairs
● Lift weights up to 50 pounds
$1,100/month - plus one refurbished bike per year from MoBo and a Red Bike Annual Pass
15-17 hours a week - 70% onsite and 30% administrative
Send the following to email@example.com by March 12, 2021
- Cover letter including why you are interested in this position and how your experience makes you a good match
- Contact information for two references
Please apply by or before March 12, 2021. Position will start in March/April 2021.
MoBo and Red Bike seek staff who reflect the diverse community we serve. Individuals typically underrepresented in the bicycle mechanics industry are highly encouraged to apply including people of color, indigenous people, multilingual individuals, queer people, trans people, women, people living with disabilities, and/or mental health variations.
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATIONS
As part of the Village Green Foundation, MoBo is a volunteer-run bicycle cooperative. A community of people who come together to learn from each other, promote bicycling in our city and build friendships. A fully equipped shop where members can learn to work on their own bicycles with the assistance of experienced volunteers through our core program, Open Shop. MoBo hosts workshops, social events, and advocates for bicycling in Cincinnati.
Red Bike is the region’s most fun system of public transportation: A bike sharing system serving Cincinnati & Northern Kentucky with 600 classic and electric-assist bicycles, from 60 stations. Red Bike is a non-profit organization dedicated to the joy and wellness of our neighbors by providing a low-cost, healthy, and green transportation option that makes Greater Cincinnati more vibrant and connected. Red Bike is an Equal Opportunity Employer and a drug-free workplace.