Corporate Merchandising Internship
At DICK’S Sporting Goods, interns have the opportunity to work with and learn from the leaders of a growing Fortune 400 company. DICK’S Sporting Goods is returning to campus this year; to recruit, train and develop top collegiate talent into well-rounded merchants.
During the 11-week summer experience, interns will take on meaningful work assignments and make tangible contributions to the organization’s success. This structured and well-organized program provides on-the-job training, classroom instruction, cross-functional departmental exposure and an end-of-program project presentation.
Interns are assigned to a training manager within the Merchandising division in one of the following business categories: Golf, Lodge, Team Sports, Footwear, Apparel, and more. Training managers are primarily an Inventory Planner or Buyer.
Areas of Placement:
Allocations & Replenishment (Assistant Inventory Planner Intern):
The goal of an assistant inventory planner intern is to develop a skill-set that allows for accurate execution and optimization of available systems to ensure the right product, gets to the right place, at the right time to meet athlete demand.
· Leverage corporate and ad-hoc reporting to review and react to store inventory concerns, trends, and opportunities
· Utilize analytical skills to make data driven decisions to correctly manage and allocate inventory
· Provide critical input into determining how to most effectively utilize our inventory to support merchandise plans, advertising, regional, and competitive initiatives
· Maintain proper inventory levels by store location to support sales, margin and turn goals
· Understand the role of Supply Chain to balance and adjust levels of inventory flow to stores
Buying (Assistant Buyer Intern):
The goal of an assistant buyer intern is to gain insight into how a department level merchandise strategy is built, an assortment is chosen to support the strategy (including the private brands) and how these align to meet the financial expectations.
· Discuss the business by utilizing various reporting tools to gain and interpret data
· Participate in internal meetings with other merchandising teams and vendor meetings by sharing information and opinions as appropriate
· Assist the buyers in the in-depth development of merchandise assortments by category
· Research economic, financial, market, competitive and industry data to explain current business trends and anticipate new trends or big ideas
Some of your experiences will include:
· Multi-day intern orientation to introduce you to the company, the program, Pittsburgh, and your teammates
· Professional development workshops designed to increase your knowledge of the company and the retail industry, as well as develop your business acumen and office professionalism
· Extensive exposure to our senior leadership through our exclusive intern only Executive Speaker Series which includes a private meet & greet with our CEO
· Opportunities to “live the brand” and experience summer fun outside the office through various events
· Fully furnished summer housing is provided for interns who reside outside of the Metro Pittsburgh area or stipend for local interns
· Working a 40 hour work week, Monday – Friday
Skills we are looking for:
· A competitive spirit with a passion for results
· An interest and confidence in working with data and numbers; strong mathematical/quantitative skills highly preferred
· Demonstrated leadership skills and ability to independently make data-driven recommendations
· A curiosity and desire to learn about consumer and retail trends, including customer demographics, purchasing influencers and emerging technology
· Dynamic written and verbal communication style to read and write reports, as well as communicate cross functionally and vertically throughout the organization
· Ability to work in a fast-paced and deadline-oriented environment
We look for potential candidates with:
· Graduation date of December 2021 or May 2022
· Enrolled in an accredited 4-year institution
· Strong proficiency in Excel
· An ability to relocate to the Pittsburgh, PA area for the summer
Start Date: May 17, 2021
End Date: July 30, 2021
Full-time opportunities in 2022:
Interns will be evaluated at the end of the program for full-time positions in 2022.
Overview of DICK’S Sporting Goods:
Today, headquartered in Pittsburgh, PA, DICK'S Sporting Goods, Inc. is a leading omni-channel sporting goods retailer offering an extensive assortment of authentic, high-quality sports equipment, apparel, footwear and accessories. The Company operates over 720 DICK'S Sporting Goods locations across the United States, serving and inspiring athletes and outdoor enthusiasts to achieve their personal best through a blend of dedicated associates, in-store services and unique specialty shop-in-shops dedicated to Team Sports, Athletic Apparel, Golf, Lodge/Outdoor, Fitness and Footwear.
DICK’S also owns and operates Golf Galaxy and Field & Stream specialty stores, as well as GameChanger, a youth sports mobile app for scheduling, communications, and live scorekeeping. DICK'S offers its products through a content-rich eCommerce platform that is integrated with its store network and provides customers with the convenience and expertise of a 24-hour storefront.